Below is the Be MedWise Prescription for Taking OTC Medicines, a checklist of questions to ask your health-care professional concerning the selection and appropriate use of OTC medications.
- What over-the-counter medicines are available for the symptoms I want to treat?
- How should I take it?
- How long should I take it?
- Should I avoid alcohol, other medications or certain activities while I take this medication?
- What are the possible side effects?
- Is it safe to use this medication if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- How should I store this medication?
- When will it expire?
- Is there anything else I should know before using this medication?
If you are already taking other medications, please be sure to inform your doctor or pharmacist.